The principal entrance to the Fort is through the Main Gate, one of the newest parts of the fortifications, having been added by the British in 1873 to allow easier vehicular access to the fort.Th e section of ramparts facing the new town is the most heavily fortified, since it protected the Fort’s vulnerable land side. The Dutch substantially enlarged the original Portuguese fortifications here, naming the new defences the Sun, Moon and Star bastions.The sheer |scale of the town-facing bastions here is brutally impressive, if not particularly aesthetic- a fitting memorial to Dutch Governor PetrusVuyst (1726-29), who was largely responsible for their construction and whose cruelty and abuse of power was such that he was eventually recalled to Jakarta and executed by the Dutch authorities. The ugly clock tower on top of the bastions was erected by the punctilious British in 1883.